Friday, September 9, 2011

Active dry yeast for pizza and bread baking

I am a frugal shopper. I bake my own bread not only for the aroma and taste, but because it saves me money. It takes about a pound of flour to bake the average loaf of bread.
The best way I found to save was by buying yeast in bulk. At first you might say, "How can I possibly use up that much yeast before it expires?" Keep in mind that most expiration dates are a year or longer, and like most expiration dates it is a guide. You can go past your expiration date. I always proof my yeast before adding it to my bread machine. In other words, put your warm water, yeast sugar and salt in a separate glass container. After five minutes if foam hasn't begun to form your yeast has expired.
When I first started baking bread I bought the packets of yeast. Then I graduated up to the brown jar which holds about 4 ounces. It wasn't until I discovered the 1pound brick packs that I really started baking. Just remember that 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast equal the same amount that is in a package. That means you can bake approximately 48 loaves of bread from one one-pound brick. Just make sure to keep the yeast in your refrigerator. After opening the package roll down the top and secure it with a rubber band.
Your family will enjoy home baked bread and you will enjoy the savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment