Friday, September 9, 2011

Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router Range is Disappointing

If you live in an older building where there are solid walls, like with lathe and plaster, then I believe there is NO router out on the market that can give you better range. My apt is about 1300 sq. feet. I bought this router because they advertised MIMO technology and superior range. This is only true if you are in direct line of sight with the router, otherwise, don't waste your money.

I bought extra long CAT-5 cables and put the router as far away from my geputer as possible--up to the door way of my home office. When I am in the other end of the apt, I can only get 1--2 bars of reception, or it drops off. No better than my D-Link DI624 router that I had before. The only way I was able to improve it is if I pulled the router into the hallway and left it on the floor, only then I got better signal quality. But who wants to deal with this hazard and eyesore?

I am also very disappointed with Belkin's customer service. After countless calls, and their promise (twice now) of having a second tier tech person call me back, no calls.

So, bottom line, unless you live in a tent or in new housing where the walls are thinner, then try this router. Otherwise, don't waste your money. I should have stuck with my DLink router.

No comments:

Post a Comment